St John the Baptist, Pinner
Church Lane, Middlesex
Date of consecration: 1321
Julian Harrap Architects has been associated with the ancient parish church of St John the Baptist since 1993. As inspecting architect for the grade II* listed building, JHA carries out regular quinquennial surveys of the church.
Although a largely medieval building with a perpendicular nave arcade of four bays, the church was extensively restored in the 19th century by architect J. L Pearson. He removed and rebuilt the roof in a pitched form using Victorian timber and added four gabled dormer windows. A distinctive feature of the building is its unusual and rich mix of materials. The 14th century octagonal pillars of the arcade, west door and east window are made using light-coloured, soft Reigate stone, Bathstone was added to the window surrounds during the 19th century and the hard, dark purple-coloured Ironstone is used on some of the quoins.
As inspecting architect, we have completed works that have ranged from the design of a display stand for the Lady Chapel to the extension and landscaping of the Calvary garden and repair of the historic churchyard wall. We have also restored the windows, implemented damp monitoring and re-roofed the church with matching new hand-made clay peg tiles. As part of this project, we designed modifications to the traditional roof details to accommodate the protected common pipistrelle bats that had made the roof their home.
Given our on-going association with the church, the next phase of works will involve re-roofing the Lady Chapel’s flat roof and re-decorating the entire church interior.
Revd Paul Hullyer