Belgravia, London SW1
Date of construction: 1740’s
The house on Ebury Street is an early Georgian, grade II listed building arranged over four floors with a well ordered facade comprising three bays. When Julian Harrap Architects (JHA) was appointed as conservation architect, the building was in a poor condition, the two principal rooms had been stripped of their wall panelling and inappropriate modifications had been undertaken to the ground floor. However, the house still retained some of its distinctive original features, including the staircase, fireplace and the dissembled wall panelling.
Collaborating closely with Eva Jiricna Architects, who designed an ambitious new steel and glass extension in the 20m long garden, JHA had to carefully balance the needs of restoring an historic building with the demands of modern living. Our work involved the repair of the principal front rooms on the ground and first floors, the staircase and front brick elevation.
One of the main challenges in the restoration of the interiors was the reinstatement of the panelling, which had been dismantled and stored in the cellar. Like piecing together a giant jigsaw, each panel had to be recorded, catalogued and paint analysis carried out to establish which room it had come from. Detailed design studies were made to determine the correct location of the panelling and propose repairs where elements had been damaged or missing. Minor modifications to the panelling were instigated where new penetrations formed connections between the historic interiors and the new northern extension.
In the first floor drawing room, a new fireplace was made in Purbeck stone to match the existing ground floor 18th century marble fireplace. The restored interiors were painted using a palette of greys and greens, based on the findings of the historic paint analysis.
- The Magic Flute Building of the Year
- The Royal Fine Art Commission Trust
- Sky Building of the Year
Photographer: Dennis Gilbert